Saturday, February 18, 2006

I Ain't My Momma!

I was on the phone with LuCiana and she made this statement: "I don't know how mom did it." LuCiana was referring to my mother and how she managed to raise two kids, while maintaining a very orderly life. LuCiana has a husband, four kids, and works a full- and part-time job.

In response to her statement, I gave this speech for both she and I to hear:

There's a point where we have to realize that we are enough. Just today my mother asked me, "Nikki, why do you only wash ONE load of Isom's clothes a day?" And I answered to her, "Because I'm Nikki and that's what works for ME." And just yesterday my dad said to me, "You know, it might be time for Isom to sleep in his crib in HIS room." I then told him, "Um, I'm not trying to be funny, but let me tell you something. MY name is Nikki Ann, and I am Isom's mother."

You see, there is a point where we have to be okay with our gifts and talents. Yes, my mother is very talented and amazing to the point where she appears to be superhuman. But, the reality is that she, too, has weaknesses.

God has blessed us all with talents. Some folks talents APPEAR to outshine others, but that doesn't mean that they are more talented. Hey, I think my mom is great, but she ain't wrote no novel. I did. And damnit, I'm gonna pat myself on the back for that. Hey, I might not be great at washing Isom's clothes, but I have my own gifts.

You're talking about how awesome Mom is, personally, LuCiana, I think you make me look bad. You and Tunisia are amazing women, and you make me look like a pathetic loser. I'm amazed at the amount of stuff you guys can do at once.

LuCiana and I both laughed, because she got the message that the grass ain't greener. God has given EACH of us enough talent and skills to kick butt in this lifetime. But we've got to stop comparing ourselves to what others have done. We were sent here to be individuals. We were built with different personalities, likes, and dislikes. It's the name of the game: Being different. Yes, we should pat my mother and our other elders on the back for a job well done. But we should also note that we, too, have led amazing lives. And that is enough.

Thank you Deb and Kathy for helping ME to see that. It has made a world of a difference in my life.