Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Make a Contribution Time!

Okay, first a shout out to my cousin Subrina. Hey Sub! I'm happy you liked the pictures. And I, too, think number 15 is a good one.

Subrina you asked about the oatmeal raisin cookies we made the other day. Before I give you the recipe, here's an anecdote for everyone else (since My grandmother is also Subrina's grandmother) about those infamous cookies:

The first time I made the Vanishing Oatmeal Raisin cookies was around 1997/1998. Grandma was here for the Christmas Holiday, and I decided to bake some cookies. I found a great recipe on the top of the Quaker Oats Oatmeal container. Grandma helped me through the process and my cousin Tony was our taste tester (he has a very discerning tongue). Here's the important thing to note, lots of my grandmother's cooking/baking is done by taste. So, I'm not sure if she went EXACTLY by the recipe. I can just hear her saying, "Baby, just let me put another pinch of dis here in there." From there, she'd probably proceeding to put WAAAAY more than a pinch. But that's cause the woman knows what she's doing. In the end, the cookies were a hit! And Tony's taste buds don't lie. Baking those cookies with Grandma Ida Mae is one of my fondest memories of being in the kitchen--and boy do I have fond kitchen memories, and they all involve me stuffing my face.

Anywho, here's the recipe. This time when I made them, they didn't taste like the ones I made with Grandma, but they were still bangin'.

Vanishing Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

1 cup (2 sticks) margarine or butter, softened
1 cut firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
3 cups Quaker Oats (quick or old fashioned, uncooked)
1 cup raisins

1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Beat together margarine and sugars until creamy.
3. Add eggs and vanilla; beat well.
4. Add combined flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; mix well.
5. Stir in oats and raisins; mix well.
6. Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheet.
7. Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown.
8. Cool 1 minute on cookie sheet; remove to wire rack.

Makes about 4 dozen

If you want to make them into Bar Cookies:

Bake 30 to 35 minutes in ungreased 13x9-inch metal baking pan

Please note: That recipe is MY contribution to you guys!

Now, I know some of you guys had asked how our weightloss girl is doing. She has two new posts up and I left a comment on each. Soooooooo, ya' know what today is:

MAKE A CONTRIBUTION DAY


I'm looking for 5 folks to head on over to her blog and give her a gentle pat on the back. Say something inspiring and motivating. Maria, your wisdom would be a great help to her. Her last post seemed a little down, and I don't want her to remain in that funk.

**Hmmmm, it's funny how invested I am in this "unknown" woman's struggle.**

Click the following link to be directed to her page: http://amidestinedforever.blogspot.com/. And if you've been to her blog before, it might be necessary to hit your browser's refresh button for the page to update itself. I go to her site everyday. Up until today, I'd forgotten to hit the refresh button and that's why I didn't know that she'd added two new post. Also, it's important that you hit refresh when you come to my blog each day.

Now, our second CONTRIBUTION. My dear friend Deb (Zohar's mom) hosts a "Birth Stories" group here in Connecticut. Before I continue, here's a little blurb and some info on it:

“Birth Stories is a supportive gathering for moms, expectant mothers and future expectant mothers to talk about labor and birth experiences, and to share and receive advice. It is held at the Alchemy Juice Bar Cafe, a child-friendly natural restaurant with a play area, so feel free to bring partners and kids. For more information call Deborah at 860-521-3084.

The next meeting will be at 4 P.M. on Saturday, February 25th, at 203 New Britain Avenue, Hartord, CT.

To me, that blurb doesn't fully get at the meat of what this group or her mission is about. Deb birthed Zohar naturally. She labored for 5 days, and then birthed him in a birthing tub. Deb is committed to seeing women have the births THEY desire. And this is not exclusive of cesareans and epidurals. She's not into "every woman should have a natural birth." She's more like, if a woman wants an epidural/cesarean birth/natural birth/birthing at home/birthing in a hospital, that she should strive for the experiences that best suit her.

I'm rambling on this one. Deb is better at explaining it.

So here's my point. Deb is in the process of writing a book on women's birth stories and encouraging women to have the births they desire. She's looking for women from all walks of life to contribute their stories. If you're interested in telling her your story or being a part of the process, email her at WayneJ2434@aol.com or email me at nikkifulse@yahoo.com.

Finally, I know you guys always hear me talking about Isom's best friend, Isom's playgroup and Isom's gym class. Well, I've put together an album of those things. Feel free to take a look. The title of the album is Isom & Zohar. Don't forget to click on "slideshow." And once you're there, you can adjust the speed of the show. Here's the link: http://photos.yahoo.com/nikkifulse.

Okay, I must honor my body and go to bed. My doctor got some of my test results back and he says my iron is fine. Which means...... He was right in saying that a sister is probably is need of some real sleep. Did I tell you guys that my primary care physician is the husband of Isom's pediatrician? Yeah, great. So I think they're exchanging notes, making sure that I'm not having post partum depression and stuff. I find that they are brilliant doctors. And I love how he's into NATURAL ways of healing. And I love how she's a breastfeeder! She was pregnant at the same time I was, her baby and Isom are only 3 months a part. So I think my doctor is getting a real sense of what's going on in my life with this new baby. And being that they're both doctors, they're probably getting way less sleep than I am. God bless them--they have two other kids, too.

Okay, I'm rambling again.

I'm out!

**and um, i have no desire or energy to look this over and edit it. so, don't waste your time pointing out typos and stuff. and for future reference, never waste your time pointing it out because this is the one place i can come and not give a crap about stuff like that.**