Monday, November 06, 2006

The Allen Chapel Episode

Rev. Greer was preaching a great sermon.

Sir scarred Mrs. Greer by stuffing an entire cookie into his tiny mouth.

After the scare, Sir played nicely up until Communion time.

During Communion, I had to chase Sir down the aisle and to the back of the church where he yelled and screamed to the top of his lungs, while rolling on the floor.

Sir's fit went on for a very long time.

Eventually, his Auntie Crystal had to take him out of church so that I could take Communion in peace.

At the close of service, a sweet West Indian woman said to me: "Just stay the course. He's so tiny, he doesn't want to sit still. But if you just stay the course, it will work out. Don't leave when he acts out... JUST STAY THE COURSE."

Sir refused to speak to me on the car ride home. I asked him not to be mad at me.

Once we neared our neighborhood, I asked: "You want to see Mother Superior and Pop Pop?" To which he replied, over and over: "Pop Pop...Pop Pop..." His speech was slow and his voice, sullen.

Upon arriving at his godparent's, Pop Pop was not there, but Mother Superior was home, cooking what looked like a fantastic Sunday dinner.

As soon as he walked into the house, he lit up.

He played with Uncle Tony and began doing his favorite thing, begging for snacks.

That's my Sir!