Sunday, June 05, 2011

Tired Of Being Quiet

I spend my extra energy (yeah, right, my bedridden time) connecting with other chronic illness patients. I try to support and be supported, and together we all try to bring awareness to the fact that millions of people around the globe are struggling with diseases and conditions that they didn't go to the grocery aisle and shop for. I say this to mean that some of us, prior to becoming ill, had lived very healthful lives, trying our damnedest to avoid needing any invasive and intrusive health care, aside from the occasional prick from having yearly routine blood drawn for a yearly physical.

But here we are. Sitting quietly in our homes. Millions of us. Afraid to inconvenience the rest of the world as it goes by in its regular hustle and bustle. Afraid to be labeled whiners or liars for voicing the myriad and overwhelming symptoms that bombard us around-the-clock. Cause, let's face it, most chronic illnesses don't take a break. And they don't give a crap that there's only 24 hours a day and seven days a week--chronic illness will squeeze as much time out of your body as it feels free to do.

So I'm tired of gathering in small groups online. Making YouTube videos for "just us." I had to remind myself, when the shoe was on the other foot, you were willing to nurse your own mother through her breast cancer and have sat next to dying folks' bedsides trying to bring them comfort. At no point would I have expected them to shut themselves up in a room and live out the rest of their days trying not to disturb the "irregularly" regular flow of life.

So, on that note. Please take a look at this video as I expose the often "hidden" lives of people, fellow human beings, as they struggle with chronic illnesses.

Be good.
Be patient,
Be in the moment.

~MissNikkiAnn