Monday, January 30, 2006

www.ABCDcenter.org

I have a main agenda today. But before I get to it, I'd like to run something by you.

You're driving down the street, when all of a sudden, you have to stop and wait for a car in front of you. The driver is trying to pull into a parking spot. You're in a rush, and you should have been back to work 15 minutes ago. You wait impatiently, and then beep your horn and give a mean gesture as you pass by the other driver.

**sigh**

I'm sick of it all. I'm sick of the impatience and rudeness of US ALL. What's the problem? Where are we rushing to? And why do we have to be so damn mean and rude?

The driver of that other car is someone's mother, father, brother, daughter, best friend, husband, grandmother...

It's funny how the "driver" mentality is. People turn on different parts of their personalities when they're driving. All of a sudden they're BIGGER and badder than they really are. Cussing and going off and stuff. Knowing dang well they wouldn't have the nerve to do that to the person's face.

CHILL the hell out! You're gonna get to where ya' going. And if you keep riding up on my butt, it's a possibility that neither one of us will make it.

I've got my mother and my baby in the car--precious cargo. And not only that, I'm driving safely to look out for your wellbeing and mine.

SO SLOW THE HELL DOWN and GET OFF OF MY ASS.

Life is too short. And kindness is hard to find.

Or if you're truly gangsta', get out of the car and beat my ass. If you ain't gonna put up, then shut up.

I have this new thing I do to myself. Whenever I'm angered over something silly, I recite "Temper, Temper" over and over again. I tell myself to calm that unnecessary noise down. Just shut up! If I'm not gonna do something about the problem, why waste time and oxygen rambling on and on.

Like right now, I'm just gonna move on and shut up about it.

See how easy that is?

Main agenda:

I have a dear friend by the name of Erica. She was a classmate of mine when I studied abroad in Costa Rica. This girl is amazing when it comes to languages, and I've always been jealous of her fluency in Spanish. Anywho, sometime ago, she told me about an idea she was pursuing. She lives in the Atlanta and wanted to open a bilingual school for children ages 6 weeks to 5-years-old. I thought it was a novel idea, being that younger children's brains are like sponges.

Well, her dream is coming true. She recently sent me an email about the program. The website is www.ABCDcenter.org. Here's a little blurb from the website:

Atlanta Bilingual Child Development Center is a 501(C)3 non-profit preschool for children between the ages of six weeks and five years old. Our dual-language curriculum teaches both English and Spanish side-by-side helping our students achieve age-appropriate, balanced bilingualism. Our diverse student body nurtures and celebrates a multi-cultural environment, preparing our children for Elementary School and the world! For more information please email Erica Pereira at Erica@ABCDcenter.org.

The program is in need of donations, and you can visit the website to learn more, or go to http://www.abcdcenter.org/donate.html to make a donation.

Trust me, if I were living in the Atlanta area, this is where I'd be sending Isom. I love the Spanish language, and I know first-hand that in the coming years our children will probably need to know Spanish about as well as they know English (and that's whether you like it or not, so get over it! LOL).

Please make a donation. My friend says it doesn't matter how small. Trust me, your $1 could make all the difference. We always talk about what folks in the community aren't doing. Well here is a sister who's doing something and she needs some support.

It's "VINE" Time. MAKE A CONTRIBUTION.

As broke as I am, I will be going to the website tomorrow and making my donation. I am urging all of you to do what you can and to pass the word around. I am also looking for at least 6 of you who will go to the website and make a donation this week. Along with my donation, that will make 7. And isn't 7 such a divine number?

Once again, here is the website link: www.ABCDcenter.org,

AND,

here is the donation link: http://www.abcdcenter.org/donate.html.

If you do make a donation, please let me know so that I can keep count. I want to see if the "VINE" works this time. Last time I asked for 10 folks, and as of today, 8 people have helped the lady trying to lose weight--and that number ain't bad.

Once again, please don't be afraid to donate small amounts. Give what you can.

Erica, keep up the good work. So many of us are about talk, but you are about actions. We need more driven people like you. You took a chance on your dream, and the universe if giving you the tools to see it to fruition. I will do whatever I can to help manifest your vision.